· Australia and Italy will meet for the first time at the World Cup.
· These teams have met 14 times in all major international competitions of which six came after meeting at the 2012 London Olympic Games (3-2 Italy win).
· At the 2015 World League, Italy and Australia met four times in the intercontinental round. The Italians won both encounters in Adelaide by a 3-1 scoreline. In Italy, both teams recorded a straight sets victory.
· Australia's victory (3-0) three months ago in the World League marks their only win over Italy to date in all major international competitions.Australia
· On Tuesday, Australia kicked of their World Cup campaign with a 3-0 defeat against United States (25-23, 25-12, 25-15). Only Brazil in 2007, won the World Cup despite losing their opening match.
· Only against Bulgaria in 2007 (49 points in 3-0 defeat), and against USA in 2007 (48 points in 3-0 defeat) Australia managed to score fewer points than in this year's opener against United States (50).
· Australia have now lost seven of their last eight World Cup matches, including five in straight sets.
· Thomas Edgar scored a team-high 13 points against United States, including 11 spikes from 20 attempts.Italy
· Italy beat Canada 3-1 (25-19, 25-20, 22-25, 25-13) in their opening match on Tuesday. They can win their opening two matches of a World Cup campaign for the fourth time after 1989, 1995 (won) and 2003.
· Italy have won at least one set in each of their last 30 World Cup matches, since a 3-0 defeat against United States in 1999.
· Ivan Zaytsev topped the top scorers list against Canada with 20 points. Filippo Lanza scored 15 points.