· Venezuela beat Japan in straight sets in their only previous meeting at the World Cup in 2003.
· Japan have won only one set in their last six meetings with Venezuela in all major international competitions. These matches include their 2003 World Cup encounter, four World League match-ups (2005) and a head-to-head at the 2008 Olympic Games (group stage).
· The last time the Japanese team beat Venezuela in a major international tournament was in 1990 at the world championship (3-0 group stage win).Japan
· Japan can win five matches at a single World Cup for the first time since winning seven matches in 1995.
· The 1995 World Cup is also the last time they won two consecutive matches by a 3-0 scoreline, against Tunisia and Korea.
· Japan's 9 wins at world tournaments in 2015 (excludes Asian Championship) are the most since they won 11 matches in 1995.Venezuela
· Venezuela hope to claim their second win at this year's World Cup. They won four matches at their previous campaign in 2003, including a 3-0 win against Japan.
· That win against Japan is Venezuela's last straight-set victory at the World Cup.
· Venezuela have recorded most of their 3-0 wins at world tournaments in matches against Japan, five times.
· Venezuela won at most one match at each of their previous six major world tournaments: World League 2015, World Championship 2014 and 2010, World League 2009, Olympic Games 2008 and World League 2008.