· This will be the fourth World Cup meeting between Canada and Italy. Italy won all three previous meetings in 1995, 1999 and 2003, all in straight sets.
· Italy have won all 14 previous meetings with Canada in major competitions. In only one of these meetings, Canada won two sets, which was at the 1982 World Championship.
· The last of these 14 meetings was at the 2003 World Cup (3-0).
· These teams also met in the bronze medal match at the 1984 Olympic Games, with Italy winning 3-0.
· This is the fifth time Canada participate in the World Cup. They never finished higher than seventh (2003).
· They won their last three matches in 2003, the last time they took part in this competition. They can win four in a row for the first time.
· Only in 1999, they won their opening match, when they defeated hosts Japan 3-2.
· The first set Canada win, will be their 50th in the World Cup.
· Italy participate for the seventh time in the World Cup. They won the tournament in 1995.
· Their last participation was in 2011, finishing fourth, just missing out on the Olympic ticket, which they later took at the European qualification.
· In four of their six previous participations, they won the opening match.
· Italy have won at least one set in each of their last 29 World Cup matches, after losing 3-0 against United States in 1999.