· USA have won only one of their five matches against Italy at the World Cup, a 3-0 win in 1999.
· Italy have won the last two World Cup ties against USA, 3-0 in 2003 and 3-1 in 2011.
· That 3-1 win on 25 November 2011 produced the highest scoring first set in history at any major men's championships: a 41-39 win for the Italians.
· USA won their last encounter with Italy at a major tournament, a 3-1 win in the first round of the 2014 world championships.
· Italy won the World League clash 3-0 earlier that year.United States
· USA can win their first four matches of a World Cup campaign for the first time since 1999, when they also won their first four.
· They can win consecutive matches in straight sets for the first time since 2007 (four in a row).
· Including the third/fourth place match at the 2015 World League, USA have conceded only one set in their last four competitive matches this year, in the 3-1 World Cup win against Japan.Italy
· Italy can win their first four matches at the World Cup for the first time since 1995, when they won the World Cup by winning all 11 matches.
· Including their last two matches in 2011, they can win six World Cup matches in a row for the first time since 2003.
· Italy have a W4-L4 record in five-set matches at the World Cup. They lost their last five-setter after a run of four wins.
· Ivan Zaytsev has been Italy's (joint) top scorer in all three matches at this World Cup, scoring 24 points against Egypt (3-1 win).