· These nations will meet for the second time at the World Cup. In 2011, Iran beat Japan 3-1.
· This will be a replay of the 2015 Asian Championship gold medal match. On 8 August, Japan claimed their eighth continental title (3-1), while Iran collected a medal for the fourth consecutive time.
· That win at the Asian Championships marked Japan's first victory over Iran in their last six meetings at major international tournaments.Japan
· Japan can win six matches at a single World Cup for the first time since winning seven matches in 1995.
· They can win three consecutive World Cup matches by a 3-0 scoreline for the second time, after three in 1995.
· Japan can record 11 wins at world tournaments in 2015 (excludes Asian Championship) for the first time in 20 years: 1995.Iran
· Iran can lose five consecutive World Cup matches. They only suffered a longer streak at a single World Cup in their first participation in 1991 when they lost the first six.
· Iran have now won 14 of their competitive matches in 2015 and lost 13. Last year they had a W14-L14 record.
· Team top scorer Amir Ghafour is two points shy of 100 points at the 2015 World Cup.