· This will be the sixth World Cup meeting between Poland and Russia (including Soviet Union).
· Four of the previous five meetings went to five sets - Russia won in 1965, 1981 and 2011, Poland won in 1977. The only other match was a straight sets victory for Soviet Union in 1977.
· Poland beat Russia in their last five encounters at major international tournaments, four at the 2015 World League and one at the World Championship in 2014.
· Russia's last victory over Poland came in the 2012 London Olympic Games quarterfinals (3-0), with Russia en route to their first Olympic gold medal since 1980.Poland
· Poland started their 2015 World Cup campaign with a 3-0 win over Tunisia on Tuesday (25-17, 25-15, 25-20). They can win their opening two matches both in straight sets for the first time ever.
· World champions Poland have won at least two sets in each of their last 13 World Cup matches, since a 3-0 defeat against Brazil in 1981.
· Poland have lost both their previous two World Cup matches against the defending champions. In 2011, they lost 3-2 against 2007 winners Brazil and in 1981, they lost in five sets against 1977 champions Soviet Union.Russia
· Defending champions Russia beat Venezuela 3-0 in their opening match on Tuesday (29-27, 25-16, 25-15). They can kick off a World Cup campaign with two straight-set victories for the first time since 2007.
· Russia can win their opening two matches of a World Cup campaign for the fourth successive participation. The last time they failed was in 1991 (as Soviet Union), when they followed up a 3-0 win over Tunisia with a 3-1 defeat against United States.
· Russia have now won 12 of their last 13 World Cup matches. In this run (2007-present) they only lost against Brazil (3-0 in 2011).
· Russia have won all their previous four World Cup matches played in Hamamatsu, including three in straight sets.
· Maxim Mikhaylov and Dmitriy Ilinykh both scored 12 points in their opener against Venezuela.